The soul has greater need of the ideal than the real for it is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live

Monday, November 28, 2011

she wins!...sort of







In the uproar over a Prairie Village teenager's tweet about Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback during a school trip, it is the governor who is apologizing.
“My staff over-reacted to this tweet, and for that, I apologize. Freedom of speech is among our most treasured freedoms,” said a statement from Brownback's office.

Emma Sullivan was in Topeka last week as part of a Kansas Youth in Government program when she posted an insult about Brownback on her Twitter page. Someone in the governor's office flagged the tweet and reported it to event organizers.Though she initially said her principal ordered her to apologize in writing, Sullivan said on Monday that it was more of a strong recommendation that she do so."They thought I should write the letter," she said.Sullivan said she would not apologize."They shouldn't have been Gov. Brownback's priority to see who is tweeting about him and make it a priority -- to find me and let the principal know what I was tweeting," Sullivan said. Brownback Apologizes In Teen Tweet Furor Sullivan, who is a senior at Shawnee Mission East High School, said she really wrote the comment as a joke and never actually said it."I don't think that I did anything wrong. I just voiced my opinion," Sullivan said.She said the joke was really intended for the other people along on the trip."It wasn't like I was trying to make everyone believe I did some heroic thing," she said. "It was just supposed to be (directed) at my friend Ryan."
 


KMBC's Marcus Moore reported that Sullivan had just over 60 followers on her Twitter account Monday. Now she has thousands."It's shocking to see how many people stood behind me for this," Sullivan said.Moore reported that the whole experience has left its mark."I think you should still watch what you say, especially if you're in my boat, you know? Looking for colleges or trying to get a job. I think if you have an opinion and you want to say it, that's more power to you," Sullivan said.Sullivan said she has been getting requests for her tweet to be put on T-shirts and bumper stickers. She's even been invited to speak at a rally about freedom of speech.The school district released the following statement late Monday morning:"District officials have reviewed recent events surrounding the reported tweet by Shawnee Mission East High School student Emma Sullivan. The district acknowledges a student's right to freedom of speech and expression is constitutionally protected."The district has not censored Miss Sullivan nor infringed upon her freedom of speech. She is not required to write a letter of apology to the governor. Whether and to whom any apologies are issued will be left to the individuals involved."The issue has resulted in many teachable moments concerning the use of social media. The district does not intend to take any further action on this matter."Sullivan said she hopes that is the case."I'm trusting them that nothing is going to happen. That they're going to take care of me and the situation," she said. "I'm just hoping all this works out at this point."

and so it goes.

No comments: