The soul has greater need of the ideal than the real for it is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

OK, now I'm mad!

I was about to have a little discussion about how angry I see people are over what little we're going to get when it comes to civil rights.  a la DADT hearings this week.

Yes, we need ENDA, and we need DOMA repealed, and we need the prop 8 trial to end in our favor so the Supremes can, hopefully, then validate it and we can move on.

However, I think what we're going to see is that George W Bush stacked the Supremes against us.  There's no way, especially once Ginsberg dies. And trust me, that'll happen about ten hours after Obama loses his next election and  we have a new conservative President. We're going to see, not only Prop 8 validated by this trial, but the ensuing Supreme Court battle uphold the verdict. 

So, though they're crumbs that we're getting, we might just have to be happy with them this time.  This guy just doesn't have the fortitude to make it happen. Well, fortitude might be the wrong word.  He might not know how to work the other side of the aisle, and that my friends is critical to success in Washington and we all know it. It's been said that they ran "into a buzz saw" over health care reform.  They gotta buzz right back and make things happen or they never will, I don't know why they don't understand that.

So I was all set to talk a lot about that.  Then I read the latest blasphemy from that hypocritical son-of-a-bitch Nazi Catholic Bastard, Benedict 666. (actually I take exception to the bastard label, he gives us a bad name)

As you probably know England is very inclusive when it comes to the equality of their citizens.   666 has inserted himself (pun intended) into english politics by insisting that though Parliament has exempted priests and other clergy from these laws, that it's not enough.  He wants them to allow churches in england NOT to hire people because it's against their exclusive, conservative, hypocritical,  "religion" (read hate) to hire homosexuals therefore the law should be changed so they can discriminate.

Dear 666:

Fuck you in hell eternally.

Love
The New Me

I'd laugh if I didn't think this guy was so serious.

What hypocrites!  The Priest who married my adoptive father to his second wife was gay.  How do I know this? Seven years later I was standing in a gay bar with my Sophomore English teacher on my left, and my Junior Spanish teacher on my right, while my friend whom I had come to the bar with danced with said priest.

The priest who officiated over the mass for my stepmothers funeral some 30 years later was so mortified over the fact that I knew he was gay that he refused to look me in the eye for the rest of the meeting. Notably, he stepped away when I came up to the altar to read the scriptures.

Shortly after the funeral he left that parish to move to Rome where he'd been accepted into some program or other.  So today he's likely cruising the halls of the vatican. 

What kind of hypocrisy is our culture founded on?  How can we seriously look to these people who not only deny the existence, and the rights of the very people who in many cases run their organizations, they actively seek to exclude them based on what I can only assume is some sad form of self-hate  which they expect the entire world to embrace simply because they say it's so.

Hillary in Raised in Captivity by Nicky Silver says it best I think.

"I went to the church near my house and told the priest I was bad and wanted to make a confession.  I said "Father, I am bad.  I am pocked with the mark of Cain."  He asked me when I last made a confession and I told him never. He said he was unclear as to what, exactly, my sins were. And I told him that I couldn't be any clearer right now, but that my spirit was spent from shouldering a tremendous nameless guilt.  Then he asked me if I wanted to buy a chance in the church raffle.  The grand prize was a microwave. I told him no.  I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a raffle and supporting an organization that refuses to recognize women as priests.  I couldn't contribute because I believe a woman has the right to control her own body.  I feel condoms should be distributed in the public schools because of the AIDS plague, and I don't think everyone who uses birth control pills goes to hell.  He told me to get out and return only after I'd rethought my positions.  Apparently the price of absolution is the sacrifice of one's own moral code."

And so it goes:

No comments: