The soul has greater need of the ideal than the real for it is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live

Friday, February 6, 2009

How cool is this?

I know Hot Guy Friday should be here, and it will be soon, but right now I want to share with you something I find very cool and very hopeful.

These are pictures of a large group of Shawnee Mission East High school students who mounted a counter-demonstration to the Westboro Baptist Church's protest against the students who elected a gay Prom King. The school has a gay-straight alliance whose membership actually increased yesterday as a result of Westboro's action. Since this is where I live, I'm quite proud today to know that these students feel this way.

When I was in Grad school I had an undergrad say o me "I can't imagine it being a big deal to be gay."

Most in my generation can't imagine it any other way.

Just when it seems that there is everything in this world but hope...


No comments: