The soul has greater need of the ideal than the real for it is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live

Monday, May 19, 2008

SLUT?!??! SLUT???!!?

I have all but been accused of being xenophobic. I find it ironic-al.

Please explain to me how I am xenophobic when I ask that people, of every culture, knock before entering my office. I seem to have offended most people here on staff at the very suggestion that they should.

I don't consider it foreign, nor culturally backwards that people should respect my workspace as I respect theirs. Even if they have a cubicle, I do not pass the threshold until I have knocked and acquired permission to enter. Why is this xenophobic?

Why is it xenophobic to ask that people,of every culture knock to see if I am inside instead of leaving things outside my door for me to trip over later? I realize I am perceived as a guy who would like to sit in his office and just do his job. I fail to see why this is regarded as a bad thing.

I do have to say that I feel I owe my employer work that is as good as I can do at any given moment for the compensation and consideration they give in return. Beyond that I do not feel obliged to anyone within the organization for any social activity beyond work related discussion.

In other words work is work and home is home. Now, the guy I work with in the office next door said that very thing last week when I was approached to donate toward a baby shower gift which I declined to do. His feelings on the subject are reflected in his statement. I concur with them.

I don't really know the guy who the baby shower was for, I certainly don't know his wife. I will never have a baby shower, or a wedding, or any of the other thousand things they try to hit me up for, so that's just money I'm pouring down the drain. Cause culture aside I guarantee you no one will think to say "Hey there S! I hear you finished your PhD last month, here's a gift certificate to Amazon from all of us!" Not gonna happen! It unequivocally never occurs to them that us single people are getting screwed on this deal.

But back to the xenophobia, which has obviously got me bugged. The two people with whom I work most closely are located in offices next to and across the hall from mine. We're a good match, we're all democrats, we're all pretty quiet, and we all live in our heads. I have been here the least amount of time at just under 4 years. They have been here a minimum of ten.

Neither of them attends the "parties" here at work. Neither of them engages in the gift exchanges. Neither of them is even asked to contribute to gifts for others! I follow their lead because I think they're right. How is this xenophobic?

I get the very distinct feeling that the issue is being clouded by those who are trying to bully me into doing what they want. And it ain't in my job description.

So, if you're inclined to do so, please tell me your feelings on the subject. I really don't want to be a xenophobe, and if I need to correct that I will. But if I'm just getting pushed around I want to know that too. It's a little hard to tell with all this guilt pumping through the air ducts.

I should have stayed on that damn horse.

No comments: