The soul has greater need of the ideal than the real for it is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

It's over..all over!

The semester from hell has finally mercifully ended.  Likely taking with it my teaching job.  About which I have mixed feelings. 

I love teaching, it's that job I'd do for free, and nearly did for four years, the pay being what it is.  So, financial issues aside it seems I'll be looking for a new one.  It's possible that my remaining class could make without anyone's assistance and that would be fine, but I say the tyrant I've worked for this past few years will see to it that it doesn't.  C'est la vie.  I won't miss the constant concern that he'll go indiscriminately crazy on me over nothing.  Which in itself will be a relief.

It's time to turn my attention to the things that mean the most to me.  My new house, my personal life, and finding new opportunities with my pottery.  All of which bring me great joy.  So such things as defining myself by what I do become less and less important.

The Presidential election is coming sooner than we think, the OWS folks are starting to really make noise, which is good and necessary, and the battle for civil rights for all people seems never to end.  So my talents and abilities can still be put to good use.

Today the concerns are small, to make the kitchen sink finally work in the house.  I've been remiss in getting to it and things are getting dependent on it so I'll be doing that in a few minutes.  Then it's getting things unpacked and pictures hung and readying the house for my annual holiday dinner this Saturday. 

Thanks go to my students who, though mostly unprepared for last nights final, i.e. very few of them had their lines memorized, were game and used their nerves to make their work in class the best they could do.  The goal of the class is to give them a taste of what it's like for us as actors and directors to make an audition piece and a production come together, and I think they not only came to an understanding of that process but enjoyed the class as well. 

Blogging has been and will continue to be spotty until things settle down after the holidays but I'll try my best to keep up.

And so it goes.



No comments: