The soul has greater need of the ideal than the real for it is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I can't say it better

The following is a link to a post from a blog called Thoughttheater by Daniel DiRito. I think he may just be a genius. He's certainly hit the nail on the head with this post.

If you're in California please vote no on Prop 8. If you're anywhere else, read these words and then try to justify denying anyone anything...I dare you.

I have said all along that I don't give a damn about gay marriage. And I still don't. I've also said that I want to celebrate the difference! that I want to acknowledge who I am and know that that person, that tradition, those queer values have merit. That they warrant celebration. Not to be homogenized away. I'm different than you and I like it that way.

However!

I still exist. I'm still a member of this culture, and I still have the same rights that you do. They're not different because I'm homosexual! Where is that written in the Constitution, that these inalienable rights apply only to heterosexuals?

I'm frankly offended that you think I don't have those rights, and that I have to demand them and then wait for everyone to vote to decide if they're going to give them to me.

I don't choose to love someone of the same sex, I do love someone of the same sex, it's who I am and what I do. It's my genetic version of the pursuit of happiness. I should be at liberty to pursue it.

My human-ness is my ticket to living. It should grant me every opportunity that every heterosexual has and it should do so without reservation.

No comments: